(City, State, Zip)
RE: (Name of Church Member)
In applying for work at __________________ I have been informed that I am to be assigned to work on the Sabbath. As a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church since-, I observe the seventh day of the week as the Sabbath as taught by the church in harmony with the Bible.
I do not request to have the Sabbath off in order to have an extra day at home to catch up on odd jobs or to engage in recreation or amusements. Secular activities-shopping, sports, employment, and entertainment-are laid aside. The Sabbath is sacred to me and my family, and I devote these hours to God.
It would be a violation of my deeply held, sincere religious convictions to work on the Sabbath, which begins at sundown Friday night and ends at sundown Saturday. I therefore respectfully request that you make an accommodation for my religious beliefs, observances, and practice in harmony with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and the guidelines of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. I want you to know that I will assist you in finding an accommodation. Here are some suggestions:
- Change to a shift or department that does not operate on Friday night or Saturday.
- Swap shifts with other employees.
- Work on Sunday or holidays in place of Saturday.
- Work a flexible schedule so that I can leave the job on Friday afternoon-minutes before sundown. (Fill in the time needed, depending on distance from home.)
- Make a temporary accommodation while a permanent one is being arranged. This could entail a temporary assignment to another job or the use of a portion of my annual leave.
- Examine some other plan that you might suggest as a solution.
I will be glad to discuss this further with you in person.
Copies to: Member's file
Union Public Affairs and Religious Liberty Department